Thursday, January 19, 2012

Maybe Maple

The next home we have I would like to have trees that change colors, leaves that fall mostly all at once and are crispy crunchy under your feet.

I think fall colors on trees are absolutely beautiful and while I love my old oaks I find myself driving around Houston in fall/winter months jealous of all the yellow, orange, red and purples I see on trees and plants.

I also think I would delight in raking less often. I always dive into raking energetic and motivated, about halfway through I am ready to throw in the towel. The wind(or cash) is blowing over my piles and leaves continue to fall rapidly from the trees, this can be a little less than encouraging.

But why do I love crispy crunchy leaves?
Well, besides the fact that they are just more exciting to step on and hear the crunch, they break down more rapidly than oak leaves. This makes them great for composting....

Which we do
With joy.

P.S. This is a great way to weigh down the leaves so they don't fly away as you wheel them around the yard. Yuliya and Cash are willing to help you out and sit on your leaves for rides in a wheelbarrow.

Side note: I made a fantastic grilled cheese with sauteed onions inside dipped in pesto sauce last night. Still marveling over how great it was. What did you have for dinner last night?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...