Monday, July 9, 2012

San Antonio Zoo

Have you ever heard a Gibbon? 

They are one of my favorites primates.
 But I had never heard them call before the day we went to the San Antonio Zoo. 
Approaching the zoo I could hear them calling out so melodic and loudly I honestly thought it was a jungle soundtrack the zoo had going to "set the mood."  As we neared the Gibbon habitat we were able to see 4 Gibbons, one sitting high up on a rock calling out to the others. He called and called for a good 3 or 4 minutes and suddenly the other 3 responded, violently yelling in perfect harmony when one raised or lowered its voice the others never missed a beat. I thought it was pretty interesting and also wondered why we haven't seen these fellas do this at the Houston Zoo. 

I also recommend the butterfly garden in the San Antonio zoo, it is absolutely magical with butterflies floating and fluttering around you at all times. 
We passed this guy from person to person, and he was just as content as could be to sit with us.
Sometimes we would stop for snack breaks.

Sometimes we were able to see the animals eat....and in this case we were actually able to watch this red bird pick its own food and feed the fish in the pond with it.
See him?

Cash watching the zebra in the African Habitat
Neat Rhino pretty close up!

Zoo day was a great day. It was the first time I had been to a zoo other than Houston's, now I can't wait to visit others!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...